YMCA Big Bear Expedition June Campout – Sunset Beach State Park
Friday May 30 – Sunday June 1, 2008
Where: Sunset State Beach
201 Sunset Beach Road
beach is 16 miles south of Santa Cruz. Take Hwy 1 exit on San Andreas
Road, and follow signs south.
Campsites & Parking:
Below are the campsite assignments for
the Spring Roughout.
Please keep in mind that we are limited to 2 cars per campsite--for a
total of 32 cars. While this SOUNDS like a lot of car parking,
it's not. Please
carpool as much as possible!!
It is BEST if your Circle checks in to the campsite assigned.
When they check in, they will need to know the name of the person who
originally reserved that campsite. All of this gets chaotic on
Friday evening. If worse comes to worst, tell them to check in
under the name of their Circle Leader, or under Jeff Vasek, or under
Tracy Denis. After that, we'll get everyone into the campsite and
deal with cars.
Theoretically, if everyone checks in at one of the correct campsites,
they won't be charged ANY FEE. However, if they check into a
campsite that already is full, they will probably have to pay for a car
Campsites #39 and #40
(reserved by Tracy Denis)
Campsites #41 and #42
(reserved by Ray Bellantoni)
Campsite #46 (reserved by Paul
Campsite #48 (reserved by Jeff
Campsites #56 and #57
(reserved by Yakoub Bellawala)
Campsite #58 (reserved by Greg
Campsites #43 and #44
(reserved by Allwyn Lobo)
Campsite #47 (reserved by Paul
Red Tail Hawks
Campsites #54 and #55
(reserved by Matt Doar)
Campsite #59 (reserved by Greg
Campsites #60 and #61
(reserved by Brian Johnson)
If anyone has questions, or gets hung up at the Ranger Station, call
Jeff Vasek 408/315-1319. I assume we'll have cell coverage, but
Food & Drink:
Big Bear is providing Saturday's Lunch
and Dinner for all. That means that each camper will be on their
own for Friday Dinner, Saturday & Sunday Breakfast. Usually
each Circle pools together for these meals. Speak with your
Circle Leader about this.
Schedule Of Activities:
- Folks arrive (sites open at 2pm)
- On your own for dinner
- Friday night card game - Dads
- Breakfast on your own
- Beach (around 9am)
- Dodgeball (Bill brings)
- Volleyball (We need someone to bring this)
- Sand castles (bring your own tools)
- Kites (bring your own)
- Surf/Boogie board (bring your own)
- Shade Tents (bring your own - we will set up in one area all
- Lunch - Big Bear provides
- Leave the beach around 3-4pm to give the boys time to make skits
- Dinner (around 6pm) - Big Bear provides
- Ceremony (around 7pm)
Navigators are reminded to
bring written list of graduates
(real names and Guide names) to the campfire to keep the ceremony
moving without fumbling for
- Skits and Hot Chocolate/Cookies (around 8pm)
- Graduation walk (around 9pm)
- Breakfast on your own
- Beach again (optional)
What To Bring:
- Tent, air mattress, sleeping bags, pillows
- Ice chest w/ water and drinks
- Toiletry kit - soap, toothbrush, toothpaste; they have showers
that take quarters
- Towels, waterproof sunscreen, hats, sandles, sunglasses &
- Kites, sand tools, boogie boards, surfboards, frisbees
- Insect repellent
- Layered clothing - jackets
- Folding chairs (small tables come in handy)
- Gas stove for breakfast and coffee
- Shade umbrellas or canopies
- First aid kit
- There are no stores on site - bring what you need
What will the weather be
like at Sunset Beach?
- It may be 50 degrees or 90 degrees.
- It may be very calm or very windy.
- It may be very clear and sunny or foggy with some rain.
- Bring several changes of
clothes in case your son gets soaked by a wave.
- Bring hats and sunscreen –
You and/or your son can get sunburn, even when its foggy.
- Bring a waterproof jacket.
Sunset Beach is a public
camp site and many people pass through the beach area. As in
any public area keep
track of your charges and don’t leave valuables unattended.
sunscreen and apply
even when the weather seems cloudy or foggy.
This information courtesy of the SaltWaterTides web site:
Tides for Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay starting with May 30, 2008.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible
F 30 Low 1:36 AM 1.0 5:51 AM Rise 2:39 AM 31
30 High 7:25 AM 3.3 8:21 PM Set 3:54 PM
30 Low 12:44 PM 1.3
30 High 7:28 PM 5.3
Sa 31 Low 2:28 AM 0.1 5:50 AM Rise 3:08 AM 21
31 High 8:41 AM 3.3 8:22 PM Set 5:07 PM
31 Low 1:28 PM 1.7
31 High 8:04 PM 5.8
Su 1 Low 3:17 AM -0.7 5:50 AM Rise 3:43 AM 12
1 High 9:49 AM 3.4 8:22 PM Set 6:25 PM
1 Low 2:13 PM 2.0
1 High 8:44 PM 6.2
Making next year's reservations
It is critical to reserve as many sites as possible the moment the
sales process opens, currently the beginning of December of the
Grande Bear and Burping Bear